Thursday, April 30, 2009

Twitter-pated?!


I set up a Twitter account months ago. It seemed pretty easy-the hardest part was coming up with a user name. After several hours and tries, I became coucou76 (coucou (pronounced coocoo) is like saying "Hey there!" in French). After that, I waited for something to happen. Wouldn't anyone find me? It was so much easier on Facebook for people to find me! And once in a while, a few old friends did.

And then for my Literacy class, we were talking about Twitter and trying to understand what the big deal was. We decided it was great if you want to follow celebrities, but otherwise...eh, I'll pass.

But then I there was a post on our message board from another person in my class saying that she finally figured out what the big deal was about Twitter-that it was great for businesses, particularly the furniture store she worked in.

Bring up Google, type in "How to do business with Twitter." I found a few mini-tutorials that were really informative. I guess I hadn't really taken the time to figure out just how Twitter worked in terms of connecting with other people-it wasn't all about reading what celebrities are doing after all. However, I still wasn't convinced.

So then I decided to log onto my Twitter account and mess around with it some more since in the video, it is described more as a shorter blog platform and that you can easily find people with similar interests. I found a few people with similar interests as mine. That was neat, but still didn't get me.

...then, I remembered that while I was in Chicago last weekend, I went to a restaurant off Michigan Ave. and was a little surprised to see a sign right out front saying that it was on Twitter. Who cares what a restaurant is doing?

Well, I not only looked up that restaurant, but also some of my other favorite businesses, and now I am following Ben and Jerry's Mint, Costco and LOST for starters. I didn't see the hype for following people so much (though that could change), but following businesses, radio stations, favorite TV shows, especially those that provide insider info and updates, etc. is a little too amusing for me. I already spend too much time on here!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Hi Shannon! I thought I'd drop in to say hi and admit that I do not Twitter...I've never even been to that site. I'm still trying to cut back on Facebook!