Monday, April 13, 2009

I Am a Superstar.

I am a superstar. I have this incredible voice that just comes out of my mouth when I sing. The crowds cheer. Fans sing along with me and know every word to their favorite songs. Lights are shining all around me. I have a wild, sparkly outfit on. Here comes my big note to belt out, raise my head up and hold the mic up in the air! I take a deep breath in!
“Mom! Don't sing!” I turn the music down in the car. I thought I had it loud enough so no one could hear my voice, but apparently I was wrong.
“Mommy can't sing?” I ask my two smallest fans, or at least, I thought they were fans.
“No!”
A rude awakening. A mom can still dream though, right? Sometimes I really think that if I were young enough, I could try out for American Idol, at least just for fun. But, as I have been reminded, I shouldn't waste my time.
Then again, I always knew I wasn't the best singer. I can hit the notes, but I just wasn't born with a great singing voice. Until I had kids, I never sang in front of anyone. But after they were born, I thought I would finally have an audience who didn't know any better than to like my voice. They would just appreciate the songs I would sing to them before bed.
And I was right on that one. Before bed, I always sing them a song. “Silent Night,” “Rockabye,” and “The Snowman Song” are some of their favorites. And for a few moments, they actually sit very still and just listen and smile. Wow! Someone likes my singing! I am a superstar.

I swear this is what I sound like in my head:


...yet, this is close to what I sound like in reality:

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Wow! This sounds so familiar! Lydia tells me not to sing all the time. What's so funny is that she'll ask me to dance with her, and I swear I look like my mom dancing! That's soooo not good because I remember when my mom danced when I was a little girl and how much I wished she'd just stop it. Who wants to see their mom dance with outdated moves anyway? :) I guess the same goes for singing....love reading your posts!