Tuesday, April 28, 2009

How to Send a Fax


My step-father is 80 years old, and when it comes to technology, there really is no room for a lot of comprehension. I know it isn't just him either; usually people over the age of 50 or so seem to be the same way.

One time that sticks out in my mind is when I walked into their office and saw a Post-It on the fax machine they had just purchased. Looking a little closer, I saw this written on it:

1. Turn fax machine on
2. Wait a minute
3. Load paper
4. Push Send Fax button

I started laughing so hard at the thought of watching my step-dad read step 1, turn the machine on, read step 2 and then watch the clock for 1 minute to be up before loading the paper!

Ever since then, that has been a running joke for us, especially steps 1 and 2. Like when we turn on the TV, we'll ask, "What are the steps to watching this thing?" And we'll say, "Step 1: Turn TV on. Step 2: Wait a minute," and then we'll count for 60 seconds and laugh.

This may not be so funny to my poor step-dad, but it does go to show the point that technology is moving so fast that it is difficult for some to catch up.

No comments: