Sunday, April 19, 2009

Me in the Dinosaur Era

As I stated earlier, I have been taking a class entitled "The Nature of Literacy in a Digital World." For the first week, I went about trying to figure out what the title of the course meant. This is because, up until that point, although I considered myself fairly internet/techno savvy, the first day into the course, I realized that I really had no idea. I felt like a dinosaur in a world of electronics.

Then week two started and by this time, I had the title figured out. Whew! Now, on to the next challenge: How to define "literacy." How would you define it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cARb0dN6J5g&feature=related

One thing I noticed about this short video is that she kept mentioning reading, implying that literacy is about understanding text, alphabetic letters, writing, etc.

At one point, that was how I defined literacy too. But if you found this post, you know that there is much more to it than that...

No comments: