Sunday, May 3, 2009

Shake Those Midwestern Hips!

Some people have been asking me what Zumba is, so here is a sample of what I teach at least 8 hours per week, every week:



It's a big mix of women, every age, ever shape, ever size, getting together and having some fun while we sweat a lot.

And I can tell when someone is new because either they will come up to me before class starts and apologize for "not being a dancer," or they will hide in the corner. And I tell them every time that it's not a dance competition, it is an exercise class that has dance moves. In the end, I look to see if people were sweating and smiling. That's it.

The other day, I had two Latinos come to my class. It was their first time doing Zumba and I have to admit that I was pretty intimidated, so I would up the routine to include a little more complicated moves here and there, and they not only got everything I gave them, they changed the moves on their own and did their own new moves! They outdid me. It was obvious this is in their blood.

And not only that, they had it going in their hips! They shook their hips! I would be mortified if anyone from my classes read this but overall I can't get them to shake their Midwestern hips! I guess it just isn't in our blood;)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I have never heard of Zumba until now. That looks like fun and a good workout. You should put a video up of you teaching it! It's bringing back memories of you dancing to Selena songs for some reason. :)